Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Interesting movie to check out

In the latest edition of Rethinking Schools there is a movie review on a new film called "Radio Free Oaxaca." Anything that has to do with Oaxaca catches my eye anyway, but this was something that I had heard of even before I saw this review. As the article says, "[This film] tells the story of how the 2006 teachers' strike in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico, became a mass movement that took over 14 radio stations and a television station, using the media to mobilize people and fight back against state and federal repression." The story of the Oaxaca teachers and their rebellion last year is inspirational to everyone looking to achieve "social justice" throughout the world. This tape should be copied and given to all of the teachers' unions (not like it would matter). It is a shame that many of us went along with our daily business while this was going on in Mexico. A more active union, which is run by the rank and file, will hopefully change that.

1 comment:

christina said...

Sounds like a great movie, I'll check it out. :)